Whether you are warming up to play a sport or working out in the gym to aid in weight loss, a dynamic warmup is an important component to your routine. The warmup process prepares your nervous system to fire your muscles rapidly. These exercises will help reduce the risk of injury, improve range of motion, and energize the muscles. Try to incorporate this routine before each workout.
1. High Knee Skips (2 sets of 30 seconds)
- Drive off your back foot and lift your opposite knee as high as it can go.
- Keep your chest up and core engaged the entire time.
2. Cross Over Skip (2 sets of 30 seconds)
- Laterally cross over in front and behind in one direction and switch your lead foot in the other direction.
- Make sure to keep your upper body as still as possible.
3. Double Leg Hops (2 Sets of 30 seconds)
- Bring both feet together, jump from side to side while keeping your chest up and core engaged
- Use your arms for momentum and stay light on your feet
4. Leg Swings (10 each direction)
- Place all your weight into one leg and swing your opposite leg back and forth with control.
- Draw your shoulders down and back, lift your chest, and do not round your spine.
5. Squat with arms overhead (10 Reps)
- Bring feet under hips with toes slightly turned out. Bring arms up to frame the ears and drop your shoulders down and back.
- Press your hips back and lower down like you are sitting in a chair. Keep your arms up and core engaged the entire time.
Add a few dynamic stretches into this warmup if time allows.
I do this routine before any beach volleyball game/practice or workout in the gym. I always feel much more prepared to train hard and improve performance.