“Researchers at the University of Virginia found that it takes 250,000 crunches to burn 1 pound of fat- that’s 100 crunches a day for 7 years.”
While crunches used to be the go- to for flat, sexy abs- now there are new exercises to get a gorgeous stomach, much faster.
Instead of working just your abdominals (six pack) these exercises work entire core, which is more than 15 abdominal, lower back and hip muscles that stabilize the spine and allow for mobility in torso. A strong, healthy core gives you the physical appearance of amazing abs, in addition to keeping you pain free.
These exercises work most of the muscles in your body, and the more muscles worked the more calories burned.
All exercises can be done on a mat-anywhere you want. Start with each exercise one time through and progress to three sets. Do all six exercises three to four times per week.
1. Plank- Start in a push up position, bend your elbows and rest forearms on ground. Squeeze your glutes, engage abs, don’t let your hips sag. Hold for 30 seconds-1 minute. Repeat 3 times.
2. Plank with arm raise- start in plank position, extend one arm straight out, hold for 5 seconds then switch arms. Keep switching for 30 seconds-1 minute. Repeat 3 times.
3. Plank with leg raise- start in plank position. Move feet out a little wider than shoulder distance. Raise one leg off floor, hold for 5 seconds. Keep alternating for 30 seconds- 1 minute. Repeat 3 times.
4. Bird dog (not sure where the name came from)- start on hands and knees, hands right underneath shoulders. Raise right arm and left leg until they’re in line with your body. Engage abs and hold for 10 seconds. Alternate for 30 seconds-1 minute. Repeat 3 times.
5. Mountain climber- start in pushup position. Lift right foot off the floor and draw knee into chest, make sure to keep back straight. Alternate for 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times.
6. Side plank- lie on your left side with legs straight. Come onto forearm and raise hips off the ground until body forms a straight line from shoulders to ankles. Hold for 30 seconds. Switch to right side and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times.